Ferddie's World

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My GK Botocan Experience

It all started with an invitation from Bro. Rhollie Ariňo (North B5–A) to give a talk on GK Kapitbahayan Membership Training or KBMT (Talk No. 2) more than a year ago at the Sikatuna Bliss Chapel. The participants were the first batch undergoing KBMT, all residing in Area 6 of a place soon to be known as GK Botocan. A month after in October of 2005, I was again invited to talk to the people of Botocan, this time as their first speaker for the Values Formation Program. I remember those days as two of my most fulfilling talks to date. Not only because of the inspiration I had from the Holy Spirit but the sincere outpouring of appreciation and resolve to effect change by the people of Botocan.

GK Kapitbahayan should be the first activity and by far the most important component of Gawad Kalinga. While GK Tatag (Housing) is more eminent and appealing to beneficiaries, forming strong relationships and empowerment among beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries in an identified GK site is exceedingly more crucial. Houses may burn down or get torn down by typhoons but they can always be rebuilt by strong Kapitbahayan neighborhood associations. Moreover, all site development in a GK area can easily collapse and revert back to a slum environment and mentality if the people do not agree to own responsibility for realizing the Gawad Kalinga vision in their community.

Last July of this year, I have again been honored of being invited to give a KBMT Talk (2nd batch) at Botocan. This time, I discerned the opportunity to again involve my household leaders. As God would have it, the caretaker team was in need of speakers. I recommended my 3 household leaders to be the next KBMT speakers. While providing support to our brothers led by Bro. Roy Locsin (CFC Chapter Head/GK Project Director – Area 6) and Bros. Rhollie Ariňo and Bro. Lito Estrella (Caretaker Team leaders), the mission work provided much needed exposure and experience for potential all-round speakers for my CFC Unit. It was my firm belief that similar to previous unit mission trips to San Jose del Monte, Bulacan and Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, the Botocan talks have also significantly contributed in building confidence and competence in my unit leaders and members. I think that’s how you develop leaders in the CFC. Nowadays, whenever, I get invited to talk, I ask leaders and members from my unit to join me if they can. If the opportunity arises, I recommend them as well.

That’s exactly what happened with my household leaders. After serving as speakers for the 2nd batch of KBMT participants, God also called on us to assist as speakers for the 1st batch of KBMT participants handled by another chapter (North B5-D) headed by Bro. Blan Cuizon (CFC Chapter Head/Project Director) and Bro. Dario Coronel (Caretaker Team Head) in an adjacent area in Botocan (Areas 4 & 5 and parts of nearby Libis). We’re also currently providing support also in terms of speakers to NB5-A for their Values Formation Program (2nd batch) sessions.

GK Botocan remains a daunting task. Area 6 alone is composed of around 600 families and GK Tatag and soft programs such as SIBOL, SAGIP and SIGA have yet to be fully organized. Yet much has also been accomplished. The different Bayanihan Action Teams (BATs) of the KB have been strengthened, a cleanliness drive is well underway, many residents are undergoing values formation and a possible solution to the land issue has been identified and seriously considered by the caretaker team.

Much promise lies ahead for GK Botocan. Transformation from a slum area into a model community has been done many times in other GK sites. It can be done in GK Botocan. I have seen the zeal, dedication and commitment of the KB officers and CFC caretaker teams. Many of them have truly internalized the GK motto: Less for self, more for others, enough for all”. I am a witness to the time, talent and treasure they have unselfishly shared with our brethren in Botocan. I salute you mga kapatid! I honor them and encourage them to continue serving with love, for the Lord! With God’s grace and providence, nothing is insurmountable.

“Commit your work to the LORD,
and your plans will be established.”
Proverbs 16:3

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home